Stress today is so prevalent and due to so many lifestyle factors.
Living in the city, most people are time poor, sleep deprived and overwhelmed, constantly bombarded with technology. Our physiology has not yet evolved at the rate and fast pace we are living at.
Stress can create a whole host of issues;
- Poor digestion as the body is constantly in fight and flight, survival mode
- Suppressed immune system
- Increased fat around the belly
- Menstrual issues and infertility as the body switches into ‘survival’ mechanism
- Depression, anxiety
- Adrenal Exhaustion
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Thus it is vital to have some strategies in place, here are just some of my tips I recommend to my clients;
What You’ll Need
- Just yourself
What You’ll Do
- Deep breathing into the belly- Slow down and take 5-10 deep breaths into the belly with a slow exhale.
- Go to bed between 10-10.30pm where possible. Between 10pm-2am our bodies are hard wired for physical repair and 2-6am is psychological repair
- Book in for a deep tissue massage/bodywork
- Get grounded, Plant your feet to the floor and imagine yourself rooted to the Earth like a tree standing strong. Think of a mantra to say to yourself for example; ‘I am rooted, standing strong yet calm’
- Increase fat and protein foods. Stress may increase sugar cravings as stress creates blood sugar imbalances. Carry an avocado round with you, try some boiled eggs, handful of nuts, apple with nut butter, piece of wild salmon. Healthy fats provide the brain with energy and soothes the adrenals.